Monday, January 08, 2007

Intellectual Evolution of an Individual

Why is it that long hot showers can stimulate one's mind in ways that nothing else - not even ingesting large amounts of chocolate - can? I've always wondered... hmmmm...

Anyway! What was I going to say again? Oh yes... the intellectual evolution of an individual: It's something that I started thinking about this morning in the shower, while I was wondering what to write about for my next blog post.

Over the last couple years, I've found that I've changed quite a bit. I used to be extremely idealistic and ambitious, thinking that I'd be able to change the world all by myself (or at least, by myself and my handful of friends). I also thought I knew pretty much everything that I needed to know in order to change the world (ah, the arrogance and follies of youth!). I spoke in fiery, passionate tones about correcting the problems in society, uniting the Muslim Ummah, and taking over the world... (seriously!)

But then I started to change... as I began to read more about Islam and the world around me, as I began to start really listening and learning to the wonderful Muslim women whom I used to spend time with, as I began to actually discuss these things in earnest, I gained a great deal more insight into what's really needed for someone to change the world. Which at first scared the living daylights out of me (and still does, occasionally), but now I've stiffened my resolve and am determined to try and do whatever little I can, insha'Allah.

The first phase of my 'conversion' from idealism to realism was focusing solely on the Muslim community, evaluating its problems and trying to figure out what I could to help solve them(which wasn't much, unfortunately). I tried to read a lot about Fiqh, and I was majorly into learning about the system of the Islamic State during the time of the Prophet SAW and the Khulafaa' ar-Raashideen (there was one reeeeaaaallllyyyyy good book I read, called "On the Political System of the Islamic State". I forget the author's name, though).

Now I'm going through the second phase. While my primary focus continues to be on the Muslim community and its problems, I'm also trying to learn more about the rest of the world, especially the Middle East. I'm reading up on important periods of history (just finished learning about the Iranian Revolution) so that I know what the historical background of today's political conflicts is.
To balance the political history stuff, I'm working on reading up on 'Aqeedah and the details of basic things in Islam (currently concentrating on Salaah and the perfection of its performance, as well as things related to it such as wudhu, the athaan, etc.).

Today insha'Allah I intend to begin phase 2 1/2: Keep on reading up on the political and Islamic stuff, but also work harder at school (which I've neglected for the last few months due to my depression over moving and being lonely) and help my mom out more at home. I know I should already be doing that sort of thing, but you know how things can get...
Now, I don't know how successful I'll be at it (I have a very, very bad habit of procrastinating and being lazy), so I'll be needing your du'aas! :)

I've decided that I'll see how phase 2 1/2 goes before I try to go onto phase 3: ACTION!!!!!!!!!

All righty... I guess I'd better go and start implementing phase 2 1/2 now! :P

Your little sister in Islam,
Mouse

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

asSalaamu alaikum wa rahmatuAllahi wa barakatuh,

OMG sister!!!!!!!! you converted!!! shame on you for converting to realism from idealism!! :) LOL

Yes those good ol' days of our idealistic dreams. Truly it did develop us though alhamdulillah.

as for me, I am never going to give up idealism 100% or 'convert' (LOL) to realism 100%. i will try to strike that balance inshaAllah since true beauty comes in the compromise.

your sis,

Illuminatingfaith

Taysiir said...

Good Luck!

AnonyMouse said...

M2Timechange: Thank you for the essays, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't post them all here in my comments' section...

Julaybib said...

It took me years to shake off the kind of idealism that comes from being ignorant and arrogant. Now I am idealistic for a completely different reason - I think I have a pretty clear idea about what is wrong with the world (war, exploitation, self-interest), and I know what is good and right (the values taught by Muhammad (aws)). I don't know what to do, precisely, except to say what I think, learn and try and put my own house in order, which is pretty messy. But maybe, one day, some folks who have discared self-interest for the love of God alone and who know what their doing might do something to REALLY change things. And insha Allah, on that day, I'll be fit to join them. Even if it is just to make the tea!

Wasalaam

Yakoub

Inspired said...

asalamu alaikum

I'm going through the same phase sis....It's just that it took me a looong time to figure it all out while you've realized it at a young age. I'm pretty pessimistic right now though and that's definately NOT where I want to be at!